Searchlight Pictures has officially announced that the acclaimed comedy ‘Theater Camp’ will make its way into your home this September. The film will be available on Digital and Streaming on Hulu beginning September 14, 2023. Continue below to check out the full announcement with some more information, along with specs and extras for the Digital release.
SEARCHLIGHT PICTURES’ SWEET AND SATIRICAL COMEDY GEM, THEATER CAMP, DEBUTS ON HULU AND AT DIGITAL RETAILERS ON SEPTEMBER 14
“It’s hilarious and heartfelt and pitch perfect in every possible way.”
– Alex Billington, First Showing
BURBANK, CA (August 21, 2023) – Theater kids, and theater kids at heart, rejoice! Searchlight Pictures’ heartwarming and hilarious ode to the stage, Theater Camp, arrives on Digital and Hulu on September 14.
The “sweet, wacky and very funny” film (Johnny Oleksinski, New York Post) is Certified-Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes™ and Hulu subscribers can stream it beginning September 14 when it debuts on the platform.
Fans can add the movie to their digital collection also on September 14 when Theater Camp becomes available to buy from all major digital retailers including Prime Video, Apple TV, and Vudu, with exclusive behind-the-scenes bonus content.
Tony Award® winner Ben Platt (Dear Evan Hansen) and Molly Gordon (Booksmart) star in the original comedy Theater Camp as Amos and Rebecca-Diane – lifelong best friends and drama instructors at a rundown camp in upstate New York. When clueless tech-bro Troy (Jimmy Tatro) arrives to run the property — into the ground — Amos, Rebecca-Diane and production manager Glenn (Noah Galvin) band together with the staff and young students, staging a masterpiece to keep their beloved summer camp afloat.
Searchlight Pictures presents, Theater Camp, a Picturestart Production, a Topic Studios Production, a Gloria Sanchez Productions Production. Directed by Molly Gordon & Nick Lieberman, and written by Noah Galvin, Molly Gordon, Nick Lieberman, Ben Platt, based on their short. The film stars Galvin, Gordon, Platt, Tatro, Patti Harrison, Nathan Lee Graham, Ayo Edebiri, Owen Thiele, with Caroline Aaron and Amy Sedaris. Producers are Erik Feig, p.g.a., Samie Kim Falvey, Julia Hammer, p.g.a., Ryan Heller, Maria Zuckerman, Jessica Elbaum, p.g.a., Will Ferrell, Galvin, Gordon, Lieberman, Platt.
Searchlight Pictures acquired Theater Camp following its world premiere at the 2023 Sundance Film Festival, where it won the U.S. Dramatic Special Jury Award for Ensemble. The film was also part of the SXSW Official Selection in the Narrative Feature section.
Warning: Some flashing-lights scenes in this film may affect photosensitive viewers.
Digital: September 14
Digital: 4K SDR (no HDR), HD, SD
Feature Run Time
Approx. 92 minutes
U.S. Rated PG-13
Digital: 1.78 (16×9)
Digital: 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, English Descriptive Audio 2.0 Dolby Digital (some platforms), Spanish 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital
Digital: English SDH, Spanish, French (some platforms)
- Side by Side by Side: A Theater Camp Chat – Go backstage with the creative team of THEATER CAMP as they discuss why being in sync as actors, writers, friends, and filmmakers brought their comedy to life. Featuring Ben Platt, Molly Gordon, Noah Galvin, Jimmy Tatro, Owen Thiele, and Nick Lieberman.
- Deleted Scenes – Enjoy a front-row seat to some of the funniest material ever to grace a cutting room floor in this string of highly amusing deleted scenes.
- Extended Scenes – Sometimes the comic magic just can’t be contained in the final cut. So, when enough isn’t quite enough and you crave just a little bit more, these extended scenes are the perfect thing to satisfy you!
- Talent Showcase Reels
- Rebecca-Diane – Watch Molly Gordon, as everyone’s favorite music instructor Rebecca-Diane, explore her craft in this showcase of eclectic and riotous improvised moments.
- Amos – Ben Platt explores the nuances of his craft to hilarious ends as his character (camp acting instructor Amos) engages with his students and fellow camp personnel.
- Troy – Witness the uniquely funny Jimmy Tatro, as entrepreneurial Troy, fumble his way through the intensely creative world of theater kids and their instructors.
- Songwriting with Rebecca-Diane and Amos – If one improv genius is fun, two are a riot. In this showcase, enjoy as Molly Gordon and Ben Platt, as Rebecca-Diane and Amos, work together to write a musical number, veering into tangents so funny they can hardly keep from breaking character.
- Troy Meets with Rebecca-Diane and Amos – Molly Gordon, Ben Platt, and Jimmy Tatro take the audience on a delightful ride as they explore the deleted scene where Troy first meets Rebecca-Diane and Amos.
- Bloopers – With a cast as funny as this, it’s no surprise that even these pros couldn’t keep from cracking up. This outtake reel reveals just how hard it can be to keep a straight face.
*Bonus features vary by product and retailer