Universal Pictures Home Entertainment has officially announced and detailed their 40th Anniversary Edition releases of Steve Spielberg’s masterpiece ‘E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial’. The new 4K, Blu-ray and Digital releases of the film will be available to own beginning October 18, 2022. Continue below to check out the full announcement for the releases including bonus content listings, disc specs and more, plus details on 3 premium limited edition store exclusive release options.
CELEBRATING 40 YEARS AS ONE OF THE WORLD’S
MOST BELOVED FILMS, BRING HOME STEVEN SPIELBERG’S TIMELESS CLASSIC WITH OVER 45 MINUTES
OF BRAND-NEW BONUS FEATURES
E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
OWN IT ON 4K ULTRA HD, BLU-RAY™, AND DIGITAL OCTOBER 18th, 2022 FROM UNIVERSAL PICTURES HOME ENTERTAINMENT
Universal City, California, August 23, 2022 – Journey back to the magic and adventure of E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL, the beloved masterpiece from Academy Award®-winning director Steven Spielberg, with this all-new release celebrating the 40th anniversary of the film, available to own on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-rayTM, and Digital October 18th, 2022 from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment. There has never been a better time to relive this cinematic classic and four-time Academy Award® winner including Best Music by legendary composer John Williams. The anniversary release showcases over 45 minutes of all-new bonus features including a retrospective of the film and its lasting legacy and a featurette with Steven Spielberg reflecting on his career and the making of E.T. 40 years later. This release also includes all the original bonus features including deleted scenes, cast and filmmaker reunion, a discussion with John Williams about the iconic music from the film, and more. This E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL release is the definitive way to experience the heartwarming movie that is sure to thrill viewers of all ages again with its timeless message of trust, courage, and the overwhelming power of friendship.
Captivating audiences of all ages, this timeless story follows the unforgettable journey of a lost alien and the 10-year-old boy he befriends. Join Elliot (Henry Thomas), Gertie (Drew Barrymore) and Michael (Robert MacNaughton) as they come together to help E.T. find his way back home, E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL is “one of the great American films” (Leonard Maltin) that forever belongs in the hearts and minds of audiences everywhere.
Three premium limited editions will be available at select retailers for a limited time only:
- E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL 40TH ANNIVERSARY LIMITED EDITION GIFT SET (4K UHD + Blu-ray™ + Digital): Includes movie, collectible tin tote, thermos, booklet and certificate of authenticity (Amazon Exclusive)
- E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL 40TH ANNIVERSARY LIMITED EDITION (4K UHD + Blu-ray™ + Digital): Includes movie and collectible BendyFigs figurine (Walmart.com Exclusive)
- E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL 40TH ANNIVERSARY LIMITED EDITION STEELBOOK (4K UHD + Blu-ray™ + Digital): Includes a newly designed steelbook (Target Exclusive)
BONUS FEATURES on 4K UHD and BLU-RAYTM for your collection:
- 40 YEARS OF E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL – An all-new retrospective of the film and its lasting legacy.
- TCM CLASSIC FILM FESTIVAL: AN EVENING WITH STEVEN SPIELBERG – The acclaimed director reflects on his career and the making of E.T. 40 years later.
- THE E.T. JOURNALS- Retrace the day-to-day experience of creating E.T. from never-before-seen, behind-the-scenes footage shot by Academy Award®-winning cinematographer John Toll.
- DELETED SCENES
- STEVEN SPIELBERG & E.T. – Watch an interview with Steven Spielberg, as he reflects back on the film and discusses his experience working with the actors, as well as his overall and current perspective on E.T.
- A LOOK BACK – A special insider’s look into the making of E.T. featuring interviews with Steven Spielberg, the cast, and others intimately involved with the film.
- THE EVOLUTION AND CREATION OF E.T.
- THE E.T. REUNION – The cast and filmmaker reunite to discuss their thoughts on the impact of the film.
- THE MUSIC OF E.T.: A DISCUSSION WITH JOHN WILLIAMS – Interviews and footage focused on the long-standing relationship between John Williams and Steven Spielberg.
- THE 20TH ANNIVERSARY PREMIERE – Composer John Williams played the score of E.T. live at the Shrine Auditorium for the re-release premiere of E.T. This featurette gives us a behind the scenes look at this presentation.
- DESIGNS, PHOTOGRAPHS, AND MARKETING
- E.T. Designs by Production Illustrator Ed Verreaux
- E.T. Designs by Carlo Rambaldi
- Spaceship Designs by Ralph Mcquarrie
- Designs by Production Illustrator Ed Verreaux
- Production Photographs
- Marketing E.T.
- THEATRICAL TRAILER
- SPECIAL OLYMPICS TV SPOT
Cast: Henry Thomas, Drew Barrymore, Dee Wallace, Robert McNaughton, Peter Coyote
Composer: John Williams
Edited By: Carol Littleton
Production Designer: James D. Bissell
Director of Photography: Allen Daviau
Executive Produced By: Amanda Lewis, Samantha Vincent
Produced By: Steven Spielberg, Kathleen Kennedy
Written By: Melissa Mathison
Directed By: Steven Spielberg
TECHNICAL INFORMATION BLU-RAY™:
Selection Number: 1000819017 (US) / 1000819019 (CDN)
TECHNICAL INFORMATION 4K UHD:
Street Date: October 18th, 2022
Selection Number: 1000819016 (US) / 1000819018 (CDN)
Layers: BD 100
Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen 16:9 1.85:1
Rating: PG for language and mild thematic elements
Languages/Subtitles: English, French Canadian, French European and Latin American Spanish
Sound: English (DTS Digital Surround 2.0, DTS:X for Feature and Dolby Digital 2.0 for Bonus Content), French European (DTS Digital Surround 5.1 for Feature), Latin American Spanish (DTS Digital Surround 5.1 for Feature)
Run Time: 01:54:27
ABOUT UNIVERSAL PICTURES HOME ENTERTAINMENT:
Universal Pictures Home Entertainment (UPHE – www.uphe.com) is a unit of Universal Filmed Entertainment Group (UFEG). UFEG produces, acquires, markets and distributes filmed entertainment worldwide in various media formats for theatrical, home entertainment, television and other distribution platforms, as well as consumer products, interactive gaming and live entertainment. The global division includes Universal Pictures, Focus Features, Universal Pictures Home Entertainment, Universal Brand Development, Fandango, DreamWorks Animation Film and Television. UFEG is part of NBCUniversal, one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production and marketing of entertainment, news and information to a global audience. NBCUniversal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, world-renowned theme parks and a suite of leading Internet-based businesses. NBCUniversal is a subsidiary of Comcast Corporation.
*Screen-Connections.com is an Amazon Associate that earns from qualifying purchases