Paramount Home Entertainment has officially announced their upcoming 4K Ultra HD release of ‘Juice’. The Ernest R. Dickerson directed film starring Omar Epps and Tupac Shakur will make its debut on 4K UHD January 11, 2022 in celebration of its 30th anniversary. Continue below to check out the full announcement for the release.
Director Ernest R. Dickerson’s Powerful Film Starring
Tupac Shakur and Omar Epps Marks Its 30th Anniversary with
First-Ever 4K Ultra HD Release
Searing Drama Debuts on 4K Ultra HD January 11, 2022
A powerful morality tale steeped in 90s urban culture, JUICE marked the feature directorial debut of acclaimed cinematographer Ernest R. Dickerson and the first starring roles for Omar Epps and an electrifying Tupac Shakur. 30 years later, the gritty and influential film continues to be celebrated for its realistic portrayal of Harlem life, the early New York hip hop scene, and the fate of four friends in pursuit of the power and respect they call the Juice.
To mark the film’s 30th anniversary, Paramount Home Entertainment will release the film on 4K Ultra HD for the first time ever on January 11, 2022. The disc features access to a Digital copy of the film and legacy bonus content, including interviews with Dickerson, producer David Heyman (Harry Potter franchise), Epps, and fellow actors Khalil Kain and Jermaine Hopkins. The cast and crew look back on making the film, share heartfelt stories of working with Shakur, and reveal the influence that JUICE had on them both personally and professionally.
The in-depth featurettes are also loaded with footage of the cast on set and vintage interviews with Shakur, Queen Latifah, Cindy Herron of En Vogue, the Shocklee brothers, Eric B, EPMD, Cypress Hill and more. Along with commentary by the director, fans can enjoy the original ending and hear Dickerson detail the reasons that it was changed prior to the film’s theatrical debut.
JUICE was originally released on January 17, 1992. The previously released bonus content is detailed below:
- Commentary by director Ernest R. Dickerson
- You’ve Got the Juice Now—A look back at the making of the film featuring interviews with director Ernest R. Dickerson, producer David Heyman and actors Omar Epps, Khalil Kain and Jermaine Hopkins. The piece details Dickerson’s struggle to remain true to his original vision, his desire to cast fresh new talent, the challenges of shooting on location in Harlem, and the reasons why the film’s ending was changed.
- The Wrecking Crew—The film’s surviving lead actors talk about how they came to be cast in the film and the bonds they immediately formed with one another. They additionally share stories about Tupac Shakur’s drive, authenticity and unmistakable genius, as well as their delight at getting to work with Samuel L. Jackson, Queen Latifah and Cindy Herron.
- Sip the Juice: The Music—Explores the essential role that music plays in the film. Features vintage interviews with the Shocklee brothers about their score, as well as Erik B, EPMD, and members of Cypress Hill speaking about their contributions to the unforgettable soundtrack and why they chose to be a part of the film.
- Stay in the Scene: The Interview—Vintage interview with the four lead cast members on set. The piece demonstrates their rapport as they discuss the importance of the film and its message.
- Photo Gallery—Unit photographer Adger Cowans’ photos taken on set.
Q, Raheem, Bishop, and Steel spend their days hanging out and looking for a way to get the power and respect they call Juice. Q hopes to earn respect by becoming a scratch ‘n’ mix DJ. Bishop has a deadlier plan—take it through an armed robbery with his crew. Ernest R. Dickerson, the acclaimed cinematographer whose collaborations with Spike Lee include Do the Right Thing and Malcom X, made his directorial debut with this powerful drama steeped in ‘90s urban lifestyle. JUICE features the acting debut of Tupac Shakur and a hit soundtrack that includes Eric B. & Rakim, Naughty by Nature, Big Daddy Kane and Salt N’ Pepa.
JUICE is directed by Ernest R. Dickerson with a story by Ernest R. Dickerson and screenplay by Gerard Brown and Ernest R. Dickerson.
# # #
About Paramount Home Entertainment
Paramount Home Entertainment (PHE) is part of Paramount Pictures Corporation (PPC), a global producer and distributor of filmed entertainment. PPC is a unit of ViacomCBS (NASDAQ: VIAC; VIACA), a leading content company with prominent and respected film, television and digital entertainment brands. The PHE division oversees PPC’s home entertainment and transactional digital distribution activities worldwide. The division is responsible for the sales, marketing and distribution of home entertainment content on behalf of Paramount Pictures, Paramount Animation, Paramount Television Studios, Paramount Players, MTV, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central and CBS and applicable licensing and servicing of certain DreamWorks Animation titles. PHE additionally manages global licensing of studio content and transactional distribution across worldwide digital distribution platforms including online, mobile and portable devices and emerging technologies.
Street Date: January 11, 2022
U.S. Rating: R for strong language and for some violence